Monday, June 18, 2012

it all came tumblin' down (for me anyway)

Saturday morning was sunny, and the rain clouds were lingering on the edge of town so we got everything done as quickly as possible, in case it rained. Marc wanted to go to the mercado and I didn't, so I sat in a cafe (the one we'd frequented during our stay in Oaxaca) and got an iced cappucino. Big deal. We'd been drinking giant pitchers of limonade in Mazunte, filled -- surely -- with bad water from the back yard. In all our travels, neither of us has ever gotten sick. We always take pepto bismol and levaquin daily, for the whole trip. By the time we get home, the contents of our intestines look like tar, but that's a small price to pay, right?

Until this trip. When Marc finished with the mercado, we decided to head back to the room to put away our purchases and decide where we'd have dinner. By the time we got there, a 4 or 5 minute walk, I was feeling bad, man. Really bad. By mid-afternoon, I was in full-fledged badness. I'll use an old euphemism: two exits, no waiting.

I kept the laptop (which gets very hot) against my stomach like a heating pad and stayed curled up in bed the rest of the day and night, except for quick runs to the bathroom. I was sure that I'd be feeling better by the next day, travel day, except it turned out that I didn't feel better. I just didn't have anything left in my guts, but I still felt like I was hit by a freight train, and my stomach was in constant cramp. Standing up was hard, sitting was hard, being was hard. We left our hotel at 5:30,am and got home around 7pm, maybe? The airline lost our luggage. The bridges and tunnels were all backed up when we were trying to get home. It was all very miserable for me, anyway.

Even though we'd chosen not to have our luggage delivered at night, since we'd been told it could be at 3am, the delivery guy's idea of "tomorrow morning" must have been 4:30am, because that's when we got it. The end of the trip was as miserable as the rest was great, but it didn't balance it, at least. It was still a wonderful, wonderful trip despite the very end.

When I'm up to it, I'll upload a slideshow of all the photos, and add the two videos I took (one of the marimba band, and one of the mariachi band). For now, though, it's slow moving for me.

Adios, Mexico. It was wonderful...

1 comment:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

:( Sorry it ended so badly...